short falls and failures

There ended up being many short falls and failures with this project. I think I went in with a project that was too big for my capabilities and instead of at the beginning making myself happy with the idea that this was just a concept, the start of the bigger version, I was hoping I was going to create something that was finished and ready for launch.

The big idea was to create 15 games, I then narrowed this down to only creating 6 for the concept version. In the end, I only managed to create 5 games, these 5 games were all almost completed, there were still tweeks that I could have made to each one to make them perfect. My lack of knowledge in ActionScript meant I took longer than hoped to create each game.

The functionality of the game was also not to the point at which I was happy with, when running on Flash the game worked quite well, but once put on the phone (a week before the deadline) I found that there was many bugs and issues. The biggest being the fact that objects weren’t removed from the stage when new levels were loaded. This meant there was a huge build up of objects which caused the game to eventually run very slow. Not only this but at times the games that were under would continue to run, so you could loose a game that you weren’t even playing.

My biggest failure was not getting the highscore system to work. This left my game with no real meaning, there was no push to go back to the game as BLAH BLAH stated, the game would never be successful without this. This failure came down to my timing, I didn’t give myself a realistic amount of time to complete the scoring code of my game, I didn’t believe it would be as difficult as it eventually was. To create a scoring system that worked the way I wanted I would have needed to include three new class’s of code, those of which I just didn’t end up having the time to complete.

The problem with the endGame function was also a failure for me. There was no ability to be able to restart the game once you lost, which meant when playing on the iPhone you would have to completely shut down the application before you could start again. This is just tedious. And no user would ever continue to use the game if they had to do this every time.

I wanted to animate win/lose scenes for each level, I had planned these in my storyboards. I had at the beginning of the project hoped that I would be able to animate these scenes myself. I really wanted to get back into Flash for animating. But unfortunately I didn’t end up having the time. This led to me trying to find a collaborator at the last min to animate these scenes for me. Emily had already created almost all the design objects I wanted, but in the end this wasn’t enough for my new collaborator, he needed more objects. He was happy to create these himself, but the time given to create 10 different scenes was just not enough. This was a real disappointment, these scenes were going to make the game what it should have been – funny and crude.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s